Re: Mass bug filing: FTBFS because of using imake without Build-Depends on xutils-dev

(Cced debian-x@)

On 07/06/08 at 21:13 -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 07, 2008 at 07:26:05PM -0700, Daniel Schepler wrote:
> > From the changelog for xorg 1:7.3+11:
>
> >   * Remove the dependency of xutils against xutils-dev, it was only useful
> >     for transitional purpose in Etch, closes: #418123.
>
> > This means that any package which used xmkmf/imake and had xutils, instead of
> > xutils-dev, for the Build-Depends will now FTBFS.  It seems there were
> > several packages which fall into this category (at this point, I've found 11
> > packages starting with [0-9a-d]).  So unless there are any objections, I'll
> > start filing bugs as I find them.
>
> Mass bugfiling seems appropriate and reasonable, but if you've already found
> 11 build failures in [0-9a-d], I think a severity: serious bug should be
> filed against the new xorg in unstable to hold it out of lenny until the
> full impact is known and the release team can make an informed decision
> about whether this is acceptable for the release.

I found those issues as well (there are 84 packages failing to build
because of that). I discussed this briefly on #debian-x, but it's not
clear yet if the X maintainers want to revert this change.

I would personally prefer if this change was reverted and done after
lenny. We don't really need 84 new RC bugs...