Problems getting the right display mode out of X

Hi!

I am having some problems getting the display mode I want from one of
my machines. It has a Dell E207WFP widescreen LCD, with a built-in
resolution of 1680×1050. The problem is that I am unable to get X to
display in that resolution, no matter how I try to configure ut. I have
an ATI Radeon 9600. I am using the VGA screen through a KVM switch.

I added

  Modes "1680x1050"

as the only mode in all the SubSection "Display" in /etc/X11/xorg.conf
and added the monitor information I have found after googling for
information:

  HorizSync 30-83
  VertRefresh 56-75

with these settings I can get 1360×768. If I change VertRerfesh to
56-60 I get 1280×800, None of these modes are listed in the xorg.conf
file.

Is it possible to force X to use a particular resolution?

I can see this in the Xorg log:

  (II) RADEON(0): DDC Type: 3, Detected Monitor Type: 0
  (II) RADEON(0): Found color CRT connected to primary DAC in RADEONProbeOutputModes
  (II) RADEON(0): Adding Screen mode: 1680x1050
  (II) RADEON(0): Total number of valid Screen mode(s) added: 1

- so it seems like it is reading the correct settings, but a bit
further down it says:

  (II) RADEON(0): Detected Monitor Type: 0
  (II) RADEON(0): Output VGA-0 connected
  (II) RADEON(0): Output DVI-0 disconnected
  (II) RADEON(0): Output S-video disconnected
  (II) RADEON(0): Output VGA-0 using initial mode 1280x800

I cannot see any log messages about why it is not using the setting
I have chosen.

I am running Debian Sid. It should be fairly up-to-date.

Please Cc me, if possible.
--
\\// Peter - http://www.softwolves.pp.se/