xkb-data files

Hello,

I am working on a patch that would add a Dvorak keymap for Japanese 106key keyboards and had a few questions about how xkb is set up on Debian.

The patch I am working on is similar to one that Paul Goins has written[1] though it has some differences. There are several xml files in /usr/share/X11/xkb and Paul made his patch against the xorg.xml file. This didn't seems to work on my machine. I had to patch against the base.xml file. What is the difference between these two files? In the same vein, what is the difference between base.lst and xorg.lst? They don't seem to be hard links to the same file.

Ian

[1] http://www.vultaire.net/software/dvorak_jp106/index.php