Re: intel X driver for etch+1/2

On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 02:31:15PM +0200, Julien Cristau wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 14:24:51 +0200, Holger Levsen wrote:
>
> > Hi Julien,

> > > Hrm.  It's not that simple.  The devices supported by the new driver
> > > and not the old one are 965GM, 965GME, G33, Q35, Q33 and IGD_GM (pci ids
> > > 2A02, 2A12, 29C2, 29B2, 29D2 and 2A42).
> > >
> > > So the i965-based 965G, 965Q and 946GZ were already supported.  Kernel
> > > support for those had been backported to the etch kernel IIRC.
> > > The newer ones probably won't work without the etch+1/2 kernel, as they
> > > need the intel-agp kernel driver.
> > This sounds like we want newer xserver-xorg-video-intel in, what needs to be
> > done so that you feel comfortable uploading 2.2.1 which is staged at
> > http://people.debian.org/~jcristau/etchnhalf/ - testers?
> >
> Success reports from people with the new hardware would be nice.  I
> guess I'll upload next week anyway if I don't get any bad reports.

hey Julien,
 I tested on a couple of laptops today, test results here:
   http://people.debian.org/~dannf/etchnhalf-intel-testing/

My testing was on a default Desktop/Laptop d-i install w/ default
settings for xserver-xorg (just varying driver). I did some basic web
browsing & used totem to display an mpeg.

The intel driver seemed to work just fine, and the image seemed
sharper in every case where it was used. Nice job! Both were 945GMs
which wasn't in the list above (or maybe I just don't know the
mapping).

One thing I'd suggest is adding some text to the draft release
notes[1] to explain things like:

 * When you might want to use these new drivers (I started some text
   for this)
 * How to switch to the new driver
 * How to (re-)configure your system to use these drivers

[1] http://wiki.debian.org/EtchAndAHalf/ReleaseNotes

--
dann frazier