Unused libSM and libICE (was: Re: RFS: xiterm+thai)

Also Cc: debian-x for comments on this issue.

On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 4:16 PM, Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> wrote:

>  Please pass the many gcc warnings and these dpkg-shlibdeps warnings upstream:
>
>  dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: debian/xiterm+thai/usr/bin/xiterm+thai
>  shouldn't be linked with libSM.so.6 (it uses none of its symbols).
>  dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: debian/xiterm+thai/usr/bin/xiterm+thai
>  shouldn't be linked with libICE.so.6 (it uses none of its symbols).

'ldd -u -r /usr/bin/x*' shows that xiterm+thai is not the only
one. Many other X apps have this problem as well.

After working with Neutron, I find this is caused by the
AC_PATH_XTRA macro in configure.in, which, in addition to
setting the usual CFLAGS and LIBS for X11 build, detects
libSM and libICE and add them to the link flags, regardless of
whether the are actually used or not. And there seems to be
no other autoconf macro for this purpose to use.

One possible fix is to switch to pkg-config and take
advantage of the modularity of xorg 7. But its price is the
loss of X11R6 support, which may still be in use in other
Unix systems. But I don't think it's too expensive.

Another question is, how about other affected X apps? How
would they do with these 2 unused linked libraries?

Regards,
--
Theppitak Karoonboonyanan
http://linux.thai.net/~thep/