Re: Unmaintained Driver Deprecation

On Sun, Feb 03, 2008 at 08:21:48PM -0500, David Nusinow wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 29, 2008 at 08:53:34AM -0500, David Nusinow wrote:
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> >    I think it's time to start dealing with driver deprecation on a more
> > active level. I'm not sure how far off server 1.5 is, but I'd like to be
> > well ahead of it in dealing with the changes it brings. It should be
> > obvious now that almost all the input drivers are going away, and a few of
> > the video drivers as well. My feeling is that we should give people a
> > chance to try and save these drivers though, so we should work up a mail to
> > debian-devel-announce detailing why these drivers will be going away, and
> > what people can do about it.
> >
> >    This week I'll come up with a list of the drivers that haven't been
> > ported to the new input and pci-rework frameworks and also compose a draft
> > of the mail. I'll send it here for comments so we can make sure it's well
> > written before it's sent. If you guys have any thoughts on the matter, or
> > suggestions for writing the mail, please let me know.
>
> Given all the activity upstream both on-list and in bugzilla I think it's
> best to wait out this email. I don't want to get people in a tizzy only to
> find that their driver has been fixed an hour ago by a surprisingly
> motivated arch linux developer :-)

Ok, things are looking better upstream with Dave Airlie's work now. I think
the way to proceed with this is to hurry and get everything from git HEAD
staged in experimental. Once we have all the drivers in place, I'd like to
send out a mail to -devel-announce letting people know that most of the
drivers have been ported to the new API, but without access to the hardware
so we need help making sure they work. I'll start working on this over the
next few days, and hopefully we can get some feedback on the important
drivers upstream so they get shipped in working shape.

 - David Nusinow