dual head ATI Radeon w/ xrandr

Hi,

I've been using a dual head setup with an ATI Radeon 9600 (RV350) which seemed to have had problems with a version already some time ago. So I was always downgrading to the old. Now, I wanted to try to see if that problem has already been solved, and in fact, the output I'm getting is different, but I'm still unable to reproduce the old xinerama setup with xrandr. I've followed all instructions found, xorg.conf has only one screen and a virtual screen large enough for both monitors, but X starting in clone mode. But when I run xrandr without arguments, I won't get the monitors I have connected and which are working in clone mode, I only get 'default' and a size of 0mm:

# xrandr
Screen 0: minimum 640 x 480, current 2560 x 1024, maximum 2560 x 1024
default connected 2560x1024+0+0 0mm x 0mm
   1280x1024      60.0
   1280x960       60.0
   1152x864       60.0
   1024x768       60.0
   832x624        60.0
   800x600        60.0
   640x480        60.0
   2560x1024      60.0*

When I use 'xrandr --output DVI-0 1280x1024' (or VGA-0 or anything else like abc) I don't get an answer at all and no error code on exit. And with 'xrandr --output DVI-0 --left-of VGA-0', it also doesn't matter what name I use in the second place, I always get "xrandr: cannot find output "VGA-0"'.

Both monitors are LCD and identical brand/models.

I recall the 'No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:1:0:1) found" message in Xorg.0.log from the old version, where I was told to ignore it for it referred to the second port on the same video card, but "Mode pool is empty, No valid mode found for CRT2" was not there before. But as I'm told not to use MergeFB but xrandr, and the clone mode did find a working mode, this shouldn't do too much harm, does it? Xorg.0.log does find that my monitor has 380x300mm, but xrandr does not. Then AIGLX complains about a bunch of unsupported visuals and besides that, no indication what might be wrong. Nevertheless, I attach xorg.conf and Xorg.0.log to this message.

Does the initial problem still persist? Is it just impossible to use the free ATI radeon driver to get a dual-head setup, or am I doing something wrong?

Please CC me, as I'm not on this list.

Thanks,
--
Cris