Re: compiz(fusion) packaging

hi,

On Friday 04 January 2008 02:34:15 pm Michael Vogt wrote:
> I noticed that you do the compiz packaging in debian. Ubuntu has bunch
> of compiz-fusion packages too and it looks like this might be a
> opportunity to share. What do you think? It looks like the current
> stuff is packaged independant from each other. We also have

yes... because the XSF (who is ultimately responsible for these packages, i'm
just doing the gruntwork) communicated a strong dislike of anything
cdbs-flavored, the packages were built from scratch.

> (currently) git snapshots that may be more appropriate for
> debian/experimental than for sid. Still it maybe worthwhile to explore
> what bits we can share.

indeed.  i don't know how much cooperation is possible on the packaging level
given the cdbs issue, but i'm always open to trying anything to improve
things.  how are you guys currently staying in sync with the upstream git and
all the various source packages, for example?   with all the source packages
from day one i saw this being a problem, and i'm currently exploring ways
around the issue, or at least to lower the total overhead.  for example, one
idea i'm toying with right now is moving the various source packages into a
smaller set of debian native packages, where the the former source packages
are git submodules.

anyway, i'm not incredibly available right now for doing any serious work
until i get back from vacation and resituated at work/home--so maybe we can
discuss this further after the 10th or 11th or so?

	sean