Re: Elographics touch driver

Hi all,

I installed the xserver-xorg-input-elographics package and it seems to
work. I can move the mouse by touching the display. However, some
calibration seems to be needed. Touching the display does not move the
mouse under my finger. I can just move the mouse pointer by dragging
over the display at an arbitrary location.

I tried to play with stuff like

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "ELO touchscreen"
Driver "elographics"
Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
Option "MinimumXPosition" "300"
Option "MaximumXPosition" "3700"
Option "MinimumYPosition" "300"
Option "MaximumYPosition" "3700"
Option "UntouchDelay" "10"
Option "ReportDelay" "10"
Option "SendCoreEvents" "yes"
EndSection

in /etc/X11/xorg.conf but these entries (existence or not) have no
effect on the behaviour of the touch screen. Where can this driver be
configured/calibrated and is it possible to have absolute coordinates,
meaning that the mouse pointer is braught the the position of my finger
when touching the screen?

It is a blind shot, but in wacom driver, when it is not correctly loaded, it
behaves like a mouse (i.e. no absolute positioning), which correlates with
your story. Review your /var/log/Xorg.0.log for any problem loading the
driver.

OK, I now have xserver-xorg-input-elographics installed and the following entries in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "ELO touchscreen"
Driver "elographics"
Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
Option "MinimumXPosition" "3000"
Option "MaximumXPosition" "3700"
Option "MinimumYPosition" "3000"
Option "MaximumYPosition" "3700"
Option "UntouchDelay" "10"
Option "ReportDelay" "10"
Option "SendCoreEvents" "yes"
Option "ScreenNumber" "0"
Option "ButtonNumber" "1"
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
InputDevice "Generic Keyboard"
InputDevice "Configured Mouse"
InputDevice "ELO touchscreen" "SendCoreEvents"
EndSection

After restarting X the touch still behaves like a mouse (no absolute ositioning) and in /var/log/Xorg.0.log I get

debian:/usr/lib/xorg/modules/input# tail -f /var/log/Xorg.0.log
Elographics: Dropping one byte in an attempt to synchronize: 'Elographics: Dropping one byte in an attempt to synchronize: '' 0x18
Elographics: Dropping one byte in an attempt to synchronize: '' 0xFB
Elographics: Dropping one byte in an attempt to synchronize: '' 0x1
Elographics: Dropping one byte in an attempt to synchronize: '' 0x18
Elographics: Dropping one byte in an attempt to synchronize: '' 0xFC
Elographics: Dropping one byte in an attempt to synchronize: '' 0x2
Elographics: Dropping one byte in an attempt to synchronize: '' 0x18
Elographics: Dropping one byte in an attempt to synchronize: '' 0xFD
Elographics: Dropping one byte in an attempt to synchronize: '' 0x2
Unable to ask Elographics touchscreen identification

Any idea?

Thanks,

Andreas