Re: xserver-xorg-video-i810-modesetting Getting Started

Paul Strefling wrote:
> Debian X Strike Force,
>
> I would like to start experimenting with the i810-modesetting package
> to be able to run dual heads, one at 1024x768 and the other at
> 1440x900. I am using an IBM/Lenovo X60 with an Intel Graphics Media
> Accelerator 950 on an Intel 945GM Chipset. I have had some success
> with 915-resolution, but the results are not acceptable; I would like
> to get my hands dirty with the new modesetting branch.  What packages
> do I need to have to start experimenting with the modesetting branch?

The modesetting package is actually kind of obsolete now. It has been
merged in the main branch upstream and the corresponding new driver is
in experimental as xserver-xorg-video-intel 2:1.9.93-1 aka 2.0-rc3). The
modesetting package will be removed for the archive soon.

Note that you will have to upgrade xserver-xorg-core (and libdrm2) to
experimental too (2:1.2.99.903-1 aka 1.3-rc3). Also 915resolution should
be needed at all with this latest driver.

Brice