Re: generating vs shipping autoconf cruft for compiz-foo

On Sat, Nov 17, 2007 at 02:16:58PM +0100, Julien Cristau wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 17, 2007 at 13:35:53 +0100, sean finney wrote:
>
> > hey folks,
> >
> > for the various compiz-foo packages, currently the autoconf stuff is
> > pre-generated whenever we update versions, and the resulting cruft is stored
> > as part of the debian diff.
> >
> > in the interest of keeping the debian diff small (and by extension any
> > resulting interdiffs and git commits), would it be okay if i moved this step
> > into the build process?
> >
> that'd be ok with me, fwiw.

I'm more than fine with this actually. For the X packages I decided to keep
the autogenerated stuff in svn out of paranoia because I wanted to ensure
that everyone had the same build system while we were getting modular ready
for the archive. Now that this is a long finished milestone, I'm interested
in switching the X packages to run the autotools stuff at build time
because it really does feel like the right way to do things.  Doing this
first with compiz will be a good test to see how it goes for us.  Thoughts
from anyone else?

 - David Nusinow