Re: mesa: Changes to 'debian-unstable'

On Fri, Oct 05, 2007 at 08:45:04AM +0200, Michel Dänzer wrote:

> On Fri, 2007-10-05 at 03:10 +0000, David Nusinow wrote:
> >
> > commit 76556f82646d4a0db15a06e1392e24a6457b1642
> > Author: David Nusinow <dnusinow@debian.org>
> > Date:   Thu Oct 4 22:49:27 2007 -0400
> >
> >     * Disable building i915tex.
> >       It was previously only built on x86 and amd64.
>
> Because the hardware only physically works with those.
>
> > It was never
> >       production-ready and relies on a kernel interface that never went
> >       upstream.
>
> Define 'production ready' - several customers of ours have it in
> production. It just requires a suitable drm snapshot.

Production-ready may or may not be true (I was told it wasn't really a
shippable driver by krh) but what I was told is that the kernel interface
never went in upstream, which means we're not shipping it in Debian, and
that airlied is planning to break that interface fairly soon with (I
believe) superioctl. I don't understand the details, but my impression from
listening to the discussion was that i915tex would be broken very soon and
probably not fixed, and that it wasn't really working for us anyway.

 - David Nusinow