Re: Do you need help for the r500 avivo driver?

Hello Ludovic!

On Fri, Aug 03, 2007 at 11:18:51PM +0200, Ludovic Rousseau wrote:
> Hello,
>
> In the message "release update: Release goals, testing transition,
> arch requalification" [1] I read that:
>   "The [Debian X Strike Force] team is still looking for people with
> the right hardware to work on avivo (ATI R500 cards) and nouveau
> (nVidia cards)."
>
> I am a Debian developer and have a MacBook Pro with an ATI X1600 card.
> I am using the avivo driver right now on the machine (git version
> built as a Debian package).
>
> What can I do to help?

Basically we need someone to take responsibility for maintaining it within
the team. That means all the standard stuff: you package new releases,
triage bug reports, etc. etc. Nothing too fancy. The driver will become
more and more important over time, so we'd like someone with the hardware
to actually test new releases for regressions before they hit unstable.
You'd be an uploader and the XSF would be the maintainer.

If you want to get started, check out our git repository for the driver at
git.debian.org (the xserver-xorg-video-avivo repo) and have a look. The
packaging is the standard way the team does things, with a basic debhelper
rules file and some extra helper stuff in the debian/xsfbs directory.

If you have any questions about the packaging or how to use git, please
ask!  If you'd like to stick with it, we can give you write access to the
repo and you'll be on your way. We're often in #debian-x on oftc as well,
so drop on in if you'd like to talk about anything.

 - David Nusinow