Re: xfonts-base-transcoded went missing in etch

On Sun, Jul 22, 2007 at 05:15:34PM +0200, Julien Cristau wrote:
> > I have been using the following setting in ~/.Xresources for years now:
> >
> > XTerm*font:             -misc-fixed-*-*-*-*-20-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-2
> >
> > That font used to be in xfonts-base-transcoded, but that package is now
> > missing. removals.txt lists it, but both its listings are "NVIU", which is
> > clearly not true in this case. http://wiki.debian.org/NewInEtch says "Etch
> > is the first fully UTF-8 Debian release, so there's no version of
> > xfonts-base with legacy encodings anymore" - but is not an explanation,
> > because the existence of UTF-8 stuff simply does not preclude the
> > existence of ISO 8859-2 stuff.
> >
> Looking at the relevant fonts.dir file, I see:
> 10x20-ISO8859-2.pcf.gz -misc-fixed-medium-r-normal--20-200-75-75-c-100-iso8859-2
>
> and then:
> $ dpkg -S 10x20-ISO8859-2.pcf.gz
> xfonts-base: /usr/share/fonts/X11/misc/10x20-ISO8859-2.pcf.gz

Oh, I'm so sorry, I misinterpreted the bug I saw as the lack of font.

In reality, it's a strange situation whereby the rxvt started from within
a window manager (wmaker, xfce) started from within a desktop manager (gdm)
doesn't accept inputted letters which have special characters (those I need
Latin 2 for). But, if I start another rxvt from within that rxvt, that
font.

Is that bug known, has anyone filed anything like that?

> > I found bug #363991, where it is claimed that the transcoded fonts are
> > included in the original font package, but that is apparently not true,
> > and the version of xfonts-base is the same in etch and in sid (1:1.0.0-4).
> > Indeed, its description says:
> >
> > | This package contains primarily fonts in the ISO 10646-1 and ISO 8859-1
> > | encodings, to conserve disk space. (A small selection of fonts in ISO
> > | 8859-8, JIS-X0208.1983, JIS-X0208.1976, and GB2312.1980 fonts are also
> > | included.) For other encodings, see the xfonts-base-transcoded package.
>
> That description is probably inaccurate.

Definitely, given that this is definitely an ISO 8859-2 font, and there is
no xfonts-base-transcoded package :)

> > Can we please have this sarge->etch regression fixed? This fix alone
> > would be harmless enough to be included in a point release, even.
> >
> > BTW, the copyright file in xfonts-75dpi-transcoded does not mention
> > the location of the upstream sources, which is a violation of
> > http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-docs.html#s-copyrightfile
> > ("the copyright file must say where the upstream sources (if any) were
> > obtained"). That also makes it harder to check if these files can be found
> > somewhere upstream (and repackaged).
>
> The xfonts-* packages include a bunch of different fonts from
> http://xorg.freedesktop.org/releases/individual/font/
> I'll fix the copyright file, thanks for noticing.

Thanks. Do you want me to file this as a separate set of bug reports?

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.