Re: X.org plans for the lenny cycle

On Sun, Apr 15, 2007 at 12:24:24PM +0200, Josip Rodin wrote:
> BTW, is there any chance that the -ati driver is going to include support
> for newer cards, the Radeon X series? It's sort of pointless for any newer
> machine, it won't even start X...

The problem is that the newer cards have dramatically changed how they do
2D, and as far as I know, no one has started reverse engineering them to
make them work. So you're basically stuck with fglrx in that situation.
It's a sucky place to be in, but I don't ha ve a better answer for you.

> I recently actually got sufficiently pissed off at both the ati and fglrx
> drivers that I went out and bought an nv/nvidia card, both of whose drivers
> actually work properly.

Yeah, not an uncommon thing to hear unfortunately. With Intel looking to
put out stand-alone video cards soon, and with nouveau hopefully picking up
its stride, things should improve somewhat for the ati alternatives. It's
sad to see what's become of ati though.

 - David Nusinow