Adding Navajo XKB symbols

Hi,

working from an upto date etch install I'm trying to install Navajo
xkb settings.  I've been able to implement them as a us variant us(nv)
by fiddling with xkb/symbols/us, but I can't seem to make it it's own.

This is likely because the xkb/symbols.dir file is incorrect, I've
tried various hand editings to no avail.

Am I looking in the right place, is there some xkbcomp magic I need to
chant to generate the symbols.dir file??

Thanks,
-Jon