Re: Bug stats (was Re: BTS cleaning status).

On Tue, Mar 13, 2007 at 04:38:10PM +0100, David Martínez Moreno wrote:
> El viernes, 2 de marzo de 2007, Brice Goglin escribió:
> > Hi,
> >
> > After the recent discussion on debian-devel about BTS cleaning and so, I
> > thought it might be a good time to report the status of my XSF BTS
> > cleaning (maybe somebody wants to jump in and synchronize with me...).
>
> 	Hello, Brice.
>
> 	As somebody who tried more or less this task before you, I am very glad to
> see your effort.  It is simply impressive.
>
> > 4) summary
> >
> > To summarize, within the last 2 months, I think about 500 bugs got
> > closed. I expect to close more than 100 with the current pending pings.
> > And hopefully 300 more with the packages that are still to-do. So we
> > should be able to go under 1000 outstanding bugs then...
>
> 	So...I was trying to help with some tool since *a lot* of time ago, and in
> January I had enough of waiting, so one night I hacked some scripts with
> rrdtool and put online some bug stats.  David (gravity) was aware of it, but
> I preferred to make some changes to the system before making it public.

I'm glad you finally did! It's excellent work.

> http://ftp.es.debian.org/~ender/XSF_bugs/graphs/total.png
>
> 	I think that the graph explains itself.  There is a version for every package
> under XSF, for example:
>
> http://ftp.es.debian.org/~ender/XSF_bugs/graphs/libx11.png
> http://ftp.es.debian.org/~ender/XSF_bugs/graphs/xfs.png
> http://ftp.es.debian.org/~ender/XSF_bugs/graphs/xorg.png
>
> 	Statistics are updated every 6 hours from the QA page for
> debian-x@lists.debian.org, and it automatically creates structure for new
> packages, so no need for manual interaction.
>
> 	These graphs cover the last 2 weeks.  For the last 2 months, I have created
> additional graphs:
>
> http://ftp.es.debian.org/~ender/XSF_bugs/graphs/libx11-month.png
> http://ftp.es.debian.org/~ender/XSF_bugs/graphs/xfs-month.png
> http://ftp.es.debian.org/~ender/XSF_bugs/graphs/xorg-month.png
>
> Shortcomings:
>
> - Currently it shows some information in Spanish.  Either learn some :-) or
> wait until the next refresh, I think I had fixed the remaining labels.

My Spanish is a little rusty, but I can maybe translate some strings if you
don't have the time. There's a lot of people who are far better for the
task than I am.

> - It has no index page.  I know, I am waiting to have some time to create the
> code to regenerate some index page with a list of packages and links to the
> graphs.
> - I would like to add yearly graphs.
> - The change to rrdtool 1.2 will make uglier graphs.  As a remedy, I adopted
> rrdtool package to see if I can fix it. :-)

Maybe take a look at gruff as well? I don't think it's in Debian yet, but
it generates really beautiful graphs. I think the ruby-extras guys have it
ITP'ed. If not, I can bug them about it if it looks appealing.

> - The separation from

You seem to have forgotten this one?

> - There is a hole at February 15th.  I do not know what problem had
> qa.debian.org, but zeroed all the queries
>
> 	Oh, and while I was at it, I decided to add statistics for the other big
> teams in Debian, so you can find:
>
> http://ftp.es.debian.org/~ender/KDE_bugs/graphs/total.png
> http://ftp.es.debian.org/~ender/GNOME_bugs/graphs/total.png
> http://ftp.es.debian.org/~ender/XFCE_bugs/graphs/total.png
> http://ftp.es.debian.org/~ender/d-i_bugs/graphs/total.png
> http://ftp.es.debian.org/~ender/kernel_bugs/graphs/total.png
>
> 	The rest of the above information (-month.png, shortcomings, etc) is
> applicable as well.
>
> 	But this is only a tool.  All my respect goes to Brice, and
> http://ftp.es.debian.org/~ender/XSF_bugs/graphs/total-month.png shows his
> work.

Indeed, Brice is really rockin'.

 - David Nusinow