Re: git help: how to "checkout" silently?

Christian Perrier <bubulle@debian.org> schrieb:

> --OJWLbGElk4npXSe3
>

> For the purpose of various i18n tasks, I have a few scripts that check
> the GIT repository out.
>
> These sripts give a lot of output (see below). Is there some magic way
> to make this entirely silent (except stderr output)=A0?
>
> This is basically the output of a "git clone.....". Maybe another
> command would be better suited?

Do you reclone everytime? Why not just update your existing clone with
git-fetch (or git-pull, which will also update your working directory if it
is clean; but git-pull should only be run by cron if you didn't do any
development in this repo and you are just tracking what happens upstream).

But notice that it will give you very much the same output as the clone, but
there was currently something merged into the master branch on git.git to
prevent this [1]. (After looking on the patch it seems to work only for
the native git proctocoll, but see below)

One question, why do you use http for fetching/cloning? I'm not sure that on
alioth the native git protocol for annonymous is activated ([2] doesn't
mention it), but it is _way_ more efficient. Especially if someone repacks
the repository you have to download the _whole_ repo again, although you
already have every object.  At least git+ssh works, so you could use git
over ssh to transfer the objects efficently if you have an account on
alioth.

Regards,
  Peter Baumann

[1]: http://git.kernel.org/?p=git/git.git;a=commit;h=3ddad98b74924d76116d05e7601ab1e163d68500