Re: moving GLw headers and libs out of libgl1-mesa-sxw11-dev

* Brice Goglin wrote:
> Hi Thierry,
>
> While cleaning the BTS of Mesa, I found #374904 which claims that
> libgl1-mesa-dev should provide GLw libs and headers as
> libgl1-mesa-swx11-dev does. This bug actually comes from #374303 where
> "inventor" failed to build because it requires GLw headers but was
> depending on libgl1-mesa-dev. It has been changed to depend on
> libgl1-mesa-swx11-dev, with an invitation to fix mesa in the future.
>
> libgl1-mesa-swx11-dev and libgl1-mesa-dev must conflict since they both
> provide libGL.so.1. But we should be able to build things on any of them
> and run on the other (as pointed out by Michel in #374303). However,
> since GLw is only included in libgl1-mesa-swx11-dev, any application
> requiring GLw cannot build on libgl1-mesa-dev. Moreover, we don't ship
> any shared libGLw.
>
> So I think we should move GLw headers and libs from
> libgl1-mesa-swx11-dev to their own package (maybe libglw1-mesa and
> libglw1-mesa-dev?) and ship both GLw shared and static libs. Then, any
> application using GLw directly would have to depend on these new
> packages instead of  libgl1-mesa-swx11-dev (and eventually depend on
> libgl-dev too if needed).
>
> If this looks ok (and once we have a name for the new packages), I'd be
> happy to work on it.

This is in fact something I had planned to do myself for Lenny, but I'm not
sure that I will have the time in the near future (things should get less
busy in about a month or so). If you want to take a shot at it in the
meantime, feel free to do so.

Thierry