Re: Please use PTS for commit mails

On Friday 29 December 2006 16:29, Julien Cristau wrote:
> - do you prefer to get commit mails to debian-x or to
> xorg_cvs@p.qa.d.o?
>
> Note that currently, git commit mails contain an "X-XSF-Commit" header,
> for people who want to filter them separately.

Note that sending them to debian-x means:
- they get archived in the ml archives, which is pretty useless (we
  already have the revision system to archive and track changes after
  all) and a waste of diskspace on master.d.o and load on murphy.d.o
- they get sent to a lot of people who are not really interested and
  possibly have limited internet bandwidth or quota
- those people will have to create filter rules
- especially with (huge?) diff attached the first two problems get
  enlarged and you may actually "scare" people away from the list

The only advantage I can see is: more people may eyeball commits and
comment. OTOH, annoying people will not lead to more eyes, but less...

For d-i we use the PTS, which IMO works quite well. Reply-to is set to the
list, so that any comments on commits do get seen by everybody.
Subscribing for those interested is a very simple one-time only action.

Note that I don't want to force anything, just giving my thoughts as
someone who is interested in following X development, but does not really
want to get in deep.

I already get enough mail volume that personally I am likely to drop out
rather than filter at some point. ATM I just blindly delete manually.

Cheers,
FJP