Re: xorgcfg and xorgconfig

On Thu, Nov 30, 2006 at 11:28:14AM +0100, Karl Schock wrote:
> Hello,
>
> "apt-cache search xorgcfg" and "apt-cache search xorgconfig"
> show nothing. :-(
>
> "dpkg -s xserver-xorg" says that debian-x@lists.debian.org
> is the maintainer of the package (therefore I send this eMail to you)
> and that the package is "providing a configuration infrastructure
> to manage xorg.conf"
>
> But xorgcfg or xorgconfig are not in the package. :-(
>
> In
> http://no-name-yet.com/changelogs/pool/main/x/xorg/xorg_6.8.2-77.1/changelog
> I found "Drop xorgcfg and xorgconfig, which will reappear in
> xserver-xorg at some
> later point; dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg should be used in preference to these
> tools."
> I am not sure if this is the official Debian changelog (or "just" a ubuntu changelog).
>
> Does Debian deliver/support xorgcfg/xorgconfig or not?
> Even if "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg" is much better than xorgcfg/xorgconfig
> and should be preferred (heaven knows): Is it a big problem to let xorgcfg/xorgconfig
> reappear in xserver-xorg? At least I would like it.

xorgconfig is deprecated by upstream, and as such we're not shipping it
either. You may use either "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg" or "X
-configure", the former of which is preferred but the latter might work
better in some cases. In the future, the goal is to have the server
configure itself properly at runtime so that these tools will be
unnecessary. Work to achieve this is underway upstream.

 - David Nusinow