Re: xfig can't find fonts

clone 366948 -1
reassign -1 xfonts-utils 1:1.0.0-4
retitle -1 update-scale-fonts: fails on empty dirs
tags -1 = patch
thanks

Hi Dato,

On Fri, Jun 09, 2006 at 07:29:42PM +0200, Adeodato Simó wrote:

>   - gsfonts-x11 (both 0.19 and 0.19.0.1) effectively leaves behind in
>     /usr/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/fonts.{scale,dir}. I haven't had the time
>     to see if this is what effectively was making xfig fail, but I can
>     believe so, and in any case these leftovers constitute a bug, yes.

Yes, this was what I analyzed to be the source of the failure of xfig.  I've
seen similar problems on other systems, including Steinar Gunderson's in
365875.

>   - Steve, despite you talk about horribly broken maintainer scripts in
>     gsfonts-x11, I fail to see anything wrong with them. preinst is the
>     most scary of them, but only acts in versions <= 0.7, and as for
>     postinst and postrm, they just contain the dh_installxfonts snippet.

Well, yes.  The source of the buggy gsfonts-x11 maintainer scripts seems to
be dh_installxfonts; I've filed a bug report against debhelper now (372686),
requesting that the postrm snippet *not* check for $1 = upgrade, since this
issue may come up in other circumstances than just the X11R7 transition.

Anyway, in order to fix this after the fact we need an update to
gsfonts-x11 so that on upgrade, it takes care of what the old package has
left behind.

>   - that gsfonts-x11 leaves stuff in X11R6/fonts.dir is consistent with
>     the changes introduced in #364530: update-fonts-dir only acts in one
>     directory at a time (checked as well with another package, xfonts-jmk
>     maintained by Russ Albery). However, changes from #364530 _did_
>     change update-fonts-scale to act on both X11R6/$1 and X11R7/$1, so
>     leaving stuff in X11R6/fonts.alias smells fishy.

>     And, as it happens (or at least, as it happened on tests I did on my
>     system), update-fonts-scale fails to update the fonts.alias file in
>     directories that have become _empty_. See the two attached patches
>     to see how does this happen; either of them (or similar) should be
>     applied to the xfonts-utils package.

Yes, update-fonts-scale only updates the fonts.scale files, not the
fonts.alias or fonts.dir files.  Looking at your patch, I agree that there's
a bug in update-fonts-scale, and this does appear to contribute to the
overall problem we're seeing.

I think the patch might need a few more tweaks still, though; I'll ponder it
and commit a fix to the svn repo this weekend.

And even with these fixes to update-fonts-scale (applied also to
update-fonts-alias), update-fonts-dir doesn't operate on /etc/X11/fonts/*,
it only operates on the single directory specified.  I'm not sure about
making update-fonts-dir act on both old and new directories; I'd like some
input from the XSF folks on this first.

>   - the issue for fonts.dir is still unresolved, indeed. Either
>     dh_installxfonts is changed to invoke update-fonts-dir not only once,
>     but twice (once with --x11r7-layout and one without), or to change
>     update-fonts-dir to act like update-fonts-scale. Since it was decided
>     not to do the latter, and I ignore the reasons for that, I won't
>     give an opinion about this.

Thinking back, I can't remember now any reason not to make update-fonts-dir
do this, except perhaps a sense of it being "cleaner" not to.

> I propose the following snnippet to be sent to control@:

Everything except the "fixed" part, since it's not decided yet whether the
remainder is entirely an xfonts-utils bug. :)