Re: Debian XSF SVN to git migration

On Wed, Dec 20, 2006 at 01:02:45PM +0100, Thierry Reding wrote:
> * Otavio Salvador wrote:
> > Thierry Reding <thierry@gilfi.de> writes:
> >
> > > A very related issue is how to work with Debian-specific branches. Should we
> > > use a master branch which we keep the packaging files in and into which we
> > > merge/cherry-pick from the upstream branches as necessary? Or would it be
> > > better to have separate upstream and Debian branches and merge those two into
> > > the master branch? What we're looking for is the easiest way to pull and push
> > > patches so we can keep the difference between the Debian packages and
> > > upstream as small as possible.
> >
> > That means we'll stop to use the quilt to manage the patches and leave
> > git to manage all delta between Debian and original upstream code?
>
> That is still something that's up for discussion. I think stgit was being
> considered as an alternative to quilt for managing the Debian-specific
> patches. As I understand it, it's pretty much the same as quilt only it's
> using git as backend.

When we last had this discussion[0], everyone was in favor of keeping the
quilt system. No one really spoke up in favor of stgit, although it was
listed as an option. Given that discussion, and a currently working patch
system with quilt, I think we should keep using quilt.

 - David Nusinow

[0] http://lists.debian.org/debian-x/2006/08/msg00110.html