Re: git migration

On Sat, Dec 09, 2006 at 08:56:07AM +0100, Christian Perrier wrote:
> > This seems to me to be the final bug remaining, but I don't have time to fix
> > it right away, and I'm not sure how much time I'll have to fix it over the
> > weekend, but I should get it fixed by Monday or Tuesday. I propose we wait
> > until that's fixed before we do the final conversion.
>

> I may have missed a few parts of the discussion, but is there some
> "using XSF git for dummies" document somewhere, that would allow
> ignorants like me to switch to git when the whole migration will have
> been done?
>
> /me fears the first l10n update coming after the complete migration...
>
> I also need to find a backport of git for sarge in order to use it on
> some sarge machines.

I've written some documentation on the wiki at
http://wiki.debian.org/XStrikeForce/git-usage. It's a little complicated
because it deals with pulling in the upstream repos in to a separate branch
as well if you want it. If all you want is the xorg package for
translations, you can ignore that. The link to the freedesktop.org wiki
page on using git is really worth reading as well.

For your work specifically, you basically need to only do the following:

 git clone git clone
 git+ssh://yourusername@alioth.debian.org/git/pkg-xorg/therepo

 (obviously only do this when you need a fresh copy)

 If you've already done this, you can just go in to the repo and run
 'git pull' and it'll grab the latest changes and merge them to the repo.

 Edit the package as usual.

 'git commit -a'. You need the '-a' for it to actually commit all the
 changed files. It'll start your editor so you can write a commit message,
 the same way you expect.

 Repeat the above as many times as you want locally. When you're done, and
 you want those commits to hit the upstream repo, run 'git push' and it
 it'll go to the alioth repo. You can batch-upload your commits that way if
 you want.

That should be sufficient for what you need. It's pretty simple. If you
want to work on multiple branches or anything like that, we can cover that.
If you have any troubles, just ask.

 - David Nusinow