Re: git migration

* David Nusinow wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 06, 2006 at 07:24:23PM +0100, Thierry Reding wrote:
> > I just found out why we're apparently loosing history when migrating. In fact
> > the information is not actually lost, it just seems that git-svnimport
> > overwrites the initial commits for some reason. So the history is still
> > there, but git can't find the path to earlier commits.
> >
> > I haven't quite found out yet why that's so, but I'll take a closer look
> > tomorrow. We may want to stick with SVN just a little longer to fix this.
>
> Ok, cool. I actually audited the libs, protocol headers, server, and
> drivers yesterday and they look fine. The drivers don't actually toss the
> information for some reason. The lost history for proto, libs, and xserver
> isn't a big deal. It'd be nice to keep it if possible though. I'm going to
> take a look at the remaining pieces tonight, and work on how to make the
> apps and such work.

Okay, it looks like I found and fixed the bug. I've pushed it all to the git
repository[0].

I've been testing this with Mesa, and so far it seems to keep the information
back up to some /branches/modular/lib/Mesa-6.4 directory. I'm currently
running all the scripts again to see how much of the history is kept or lost.

I have also reenabled a line that spews out information about paths that are
not matched. This is all redirected to the log file and could be helpful in
determining which directories are still not being imported and need to be
added.

Now that it looks like we're finally able to migrate the libraries, proto,
input and video drivers as well as the server, I'd like to invite everyone to
check the AUTHORS file in the repository to see whether their email addresses
are correct.

Thierry

[0]: http://git.debian.org/?p=pkg-xorg/git-migration.git;a=summary