Re: Removing useless library dependancies from xmotd

* Marcin Owsiany <porridge@debian.org> [060930 17:52]:
> Now some questions:
>  - is it OK for me to make this modification in my package? Won't it
>    break on some other (Debian) architecture?

i think all Debian architectures are similar enough that if it works
on one, it should work on all of them.

Some more things to check:
Does it still link properly with "-Wl,-z,defs"?
If you overlooked a library needed, the symbols will still be loaded
as the library is pulled in later. If you want to be sure, take a look
at all UND'efined symbols in objdump -T's output and make sure you have
all of them in the libraries you are linking directly against.

If you change anything with Xaw and/or Xt please make sure editres still
works on your application. Xaw makes some funny little linker trick to
modify Xt so that editres works by default, which fails if some symbols
are loaded in the wrong order.

>  - maybe it's a good idea in general, and Debian xorg should be modified
>    to expand XawClientLibs to just  $(XAWLIB) ?

I fear it is a better idea to get rid of imake alltogether. While xmotd
is unlikely to use anything from libxpm directly, other applications
may. And as this was always linked against, applications do not
otherwise state that they need it.

Hochachtungsvoll,
  Bernhard R. Link