Newer Mesa and libDRM?

Hi, first of all, I'd like to say thanks for getting xorg 7.1 and that mesa
snapshot into unstable. I've been using that Mesa snapshot (from
experimental) for quite some time on my r300 class hardware.

That being said, I've been salivating while following the xorg, mesa, and dri
lists-- And fighting that urge to start compiling source. So yesterday I
started feeling ambitious and I grabbed libdrm2-2.0.2+git20060809 and Mesa
6.5.1+git20060817 from Ubuntu, and built the debs against an
otherwise 'clean' Debian Unstable system.

The short version is, yes there are noticeable improvements in the r300 driver
there. (In the case of GL games) I haven't really plucked around with the
desktop acceleration stuff too much. From what I've been reading similar
things could be said from the intel side of the fence. In the case of newer
r300 hardware, if you want to use open source drivers, you really kind of
need to go to the bleeding edge. (And yes, I'm a hypocrite because I play
closed games.)

I was wondering if there were any firm plans of getting a newer mesa or libdrm
into unstable or etch, etc. I know the correct response is, "When we're
ready", but I was hoping for any juicy tidbits (even if in general) that go
beyond that.

Thanks!

_James