Re: xkb-data: Help needed for Macintosh keyboards

Hi,

I just tested xkb-data_0.8-10exp1_all.deb from
http://people.debian.org/barbier/tmp/

extracted to ~/XKB and symlinked /usr/share/lib/X11/xkb to it :
sjv@tertius:~/XKB/usr/share/X11/xkb$ ls -l /usr/share/X11/xkb
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 31 2006-09-03 20:14 /usr/share/X11/xkb -> /home/sjv/XKB/usr/share/X11/xkb

sjv@tertius$ setxkbmap -rules xorg -model macintosh -layout fr

>   * Mac model (ibook, g4, g5, etc)

This a G4 silver

>   * Mac keyboard (USB or not, country variant)

Apple Pro keyboard (cf. geometry/macintosh(applepro))

>   * xorg.conf options

see above

>   * success or failure report?

Nice :-) the 3rd shift level comes from the MacOSX mapping, which
appears to be a good choice, and modifiers work OK.

Some remarks, though :
* F13, F14 and F15 are not mapped (NoSymbol)
* Multimedia keys on the keyboard are not mapped (NoSymbol)
* I noticed that both AltGr and Shift+AltGr map to ISO_Level3_Shift.
This is fine for AltGr, but maybe we could map Shift+AltGr to
Mode_Switch to permit a 4th shift level.

Suggestions to fix this keyboard:
-> add an 'applepro' model to the definition of $mac
-> add an 'applepro	macintosh(applepro)' to the model<->keycodes
section and the corresponding section in keycodes/macintosh
-> do what is needed in the corresponding layout (maybe a variant) to
get a fully functional keyboard -- best would be to only have these lines
in xorg.conf :
Option          "XkbRules"      "xorg"
Option          "XkbModel"      "applepro"
Option          "XkbLayout"     "fr"

I'll file a bug+patch against xkb-data after some cleanup of a working
configuration I have.

For reference, the modifier keys are organized as follows :

         .------.-----.-------.--------------.-------.-------.------.
         | Ctrl | Alt | Apple |     space    | Apple | AltGr | Ctrl |
         `------^-----^-------^--------------^-------^-------^------'
 keycodes  37    64    115          65        116       113     109
 name     Ctrl_L Alt_L Super_L     space      Super_R ISO_Level3_Shift Ctrl_R

As a sidenote, modifier keys from a 12' ibook G4 (running OSX) :

         | Fn | Ctrl | Apple |     space    | Apple | KP_Enter |

Simon

--

Simon Vallet
http://www.castalie.org/pubkey.txt