Re: xterm colors

Thaddeus H. Black <thb@debian.org> wrote:
> I don't know if it was controversial when you did it, but just in case

it wasn't.

> you were thinking of backsliding, please don't.  Your color patch to the
> xterm source was absolutely the right thing to do.  For a while, I had
> thought that Debian was going to release etch xterm with a
> black-on-white default, which was going to break long-established
> practice and cause me, at least, needless package-maintenance problems.
> But you have reverted the unwise upstream innovation.

You're mistaken.

upstream has "always" defaulted to black-on-white, while Debian has (for
several years) used something that resembled white on black.  The
comment which you cite is simply reiterating notes on an existing patch,
which was made simpler by providing commented-out settings in the
upstream sources.  The same set of upstream changes added commented-out
settings to correspond to a few other color schemes which are used in
other packages.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net