Re: X Strike Force X.Org X11 SVN commit: r2912 - in branches/7.1/xserver/xorg-server/debian: . patches

On Sun, Aug 27, 2006 at 12:27:26PM +0200, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-08-26 at 13:51 +0000, David Nusinow wrote:
> >
> > This was at the request of the release team. Since Nvidia hadn't released a
> > driver for 7.1, and it wasn't clear that they would any time soon, the RM's
> > wanted to allow nvidia-glx users to have an easy way to have acceleration.
> > This was the compromise to allow us to ship 7.1.
>
> You're saying we would have stayed with an older and clearly inferior
> upstream version of free software if we hadn't found a way to deal with
> a flaw in proprietary software?

I don't know, you'll have to ask Steve, but that was certaintly a real
concern. You know as well as I do that people are going to use the binary
drivers whatever we do. Either way, it was a minor concession. We already
give people plenty of rope to hang themselves with X, adding another switch
isn't going to cause any more issues.

My priority is to support our users as best we can, and if it was a choice
between letting nvidia users hang themselves when they screw up or not
letting i965 owners be unable to run Debian without backports then it was
an incredibly easy choice.

> > Now that they've released an updated driver this could potentially be
> > removed, but I still think it's a useful feature
>
> Again, I disagree. I suspect this will lead to spurious bug reports down
> the road.
>
> > (which is why I pushed it upstream too).
>
> Indeed, without any prior discussion.

I didn't realize I needed to ask for permission for such things. If the
-ignoreABI option didn't already exist, I wouldn't have done so. I didn't
really add anything new, I just provided a new way to get at it. I hate the
binary drivers too, but they're still a reality and our users still demand
the ability to use them.

 - David Nusinow