Re: Request For Permission To Upload Xorg 7.1 To Unstable

On Wed, Aug 23, 2006 at 11:00:25PM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> The major question here has been how to handle binary non-free drivers that
> haven't been updated yet for the 7.1 ABI change.  Specifically, the nvidia
> driver, which is presently packaged in non-free, hasn't been updated yet for
> 7.1; it's possible that this won't happen in time for the etch release, or
> even that it won't happen at all if they jump straight to a 7.2 ABI.  David
> seemed unconcerned by the possibility of releasing etch without an nvidia
> driver.  That's a fair answer, I just wanted to make sure we weren't going
> to leave people taken by surprise by such a change.  We've also discussed
> steps that can be taken to help nvidia users continue to use the 7.0 driver
> with the 7.1 server if that becomes necessary, and David has been working up
> a patch for an IgnoreABI xorg.conf option to supplement the -ignoreABI
> commandline option, which leaves me comfortable with the worst-case scenario
> here (i.e., we can ship nvidia 7.0 drivers and users of those drivers will
> have to add a couple of options to their xorg.conf by hand).

Nvidia has just released an updated driver covering 7.1 in the past two
days since we last spoke. I assume Randall will be on the ball as he
usually is and get it ready in time for etch. So this is one less worry. In
addition, the patch is done and shipping in experimental currently. I've
also pushed it upstream for the future.

 - David Nusinow