Re: Keyboard driver change in 7.1 (was Re: X Strike Force X.Org X11 SVN commit: r3011 - in branches/7.1/driver/xserver-xorg-input-keyboard: . man src)

On Fri, Aug 25, 2006 at 08:33:49AM +0200, Denis Barbier wrote:
> According to http://ftp.x.org/pub/X11R7.1/doc/RELNOTES5.html#34
> legacy "keyboard" driver has been dropped in 7.1 and users have to replace
>    Driver  "keyboard"
> by
>    Driver  "kbd"
> in their xorg.conf.  I have not installed 7.1 yet, what happens if this
> change is not performed?  What can we do to let people upgrade from older
> versions without losing their keyboard?

The same was true in 7.0 as well, unless I'm very much mistaken.  The
only difference is that we've started to rip out the #ifdef
USE_DEPRECATED_KEYBOARD_DRIVER blocks, and all the infrastructure in the
server that wasn't ifdefed somehow, but I don't think the driver was
built in any case.

IIRC requests for 'keyboard' will cause 'kbd' to be loaded.  If not,
it's a really simple hack to
xf86Config.c:xf86InputDriverlistFromConfig().

Cheers,
Daniel