Re: svn management, git, etc

On Wed, Aug 09, 2006 at 12:35:11AM +0200, Denis Barbier wrote:
> External xsfbs modules are also time-consuming.  I rant against them whenever
> I do an update of the whole tree ;)

I agree, but I don't have a better solution for it yet. Perhaps git offers
something similar but superior? Alternately, I want to kill as much of
xsfbs as I can in the next release cycle, so maybe it's possible to kill it
all? dilinger keeps mumbling "cdbs2/3" in my general direction...

> But more generally, I guess that my rants come from some frustration on
> my side, it is no fun for me to hack on X.  It used to be too big, now
> it is modular but still complex, one has to understand what are all those
> branches and who can upload what.  My feeling is that I spend less time
> on hacking than on trying to understand how to do it the XSF way.
> So David, do what you want, I have no strong opinion on anything related to
> SCM, but please let us have fun.  This is surely what you want too, I hope
> it will happen soon.

I'm truly sorry you feel that way. I had no idea. Please give me some
feedback on what you want to make things more fun.

As for what you can do, feel free to commit to anything and pretty much to
upload anything you want. New upstream versions of libraries and the server
shouldn't be uploaded without some care, since they could break other
components. Especially now that we're near a freeze, we need to talk to the
release team before we do anything like this.

Bugfixes, especially packaging ones, can go up whenever you feel the desire.

I need to clean out the uploaders fields of packages, but basically my
policy on the issue is that the uploaders field defines who is the person
taking final responsibility within the XSF for the package. If you just
want to hack on things generally, please do so, but don't add your name to
the uploaders field unless you want to take full responsibility for any
changes in the package, including shielding your fellow teammates from
criticism for mistakes they've made.

I think it's critical to have someone taking full responsibility for the
various packages to prevent the basic problem of teams where if everyone
has responsibility, no one takes responsibility.  It doesn't have to be me
though, so if you want to own more pieces than xkb-data, just go for it.

I really don't want to rule with an iron fist or anything, which is why I
tell people to just go for it and upload away. But I do want to make sure
every little piece is accounted for, even if it means that I have to do it.

I also want to make sure things are fun, and now that we're moving along at
a good pace we can relax a little and focus on doing cool things.  To me,
the two cool things I want are compiz (for this release) and autodetection
(next release). If you want to hack on something for fun (including those
projects, hint hint :-), just go for it.  That's what I'm doing :-)

 - David Nusinow