svn structure: branch vs trunk

I am planning to bring some Xprint packages into the svn repository. Is
there any documentation for the structure of the repository?  For
instance I notice there is the trunk directory
(http://necrotic.deadbeast.net/svn/xorg-x11/trunk/), but it seems to be
out of date relative to xorg-x11/branches/7.1.  Should I be commiting my
new packages to branches/7.1 or where?

Likewise from time to time we'll want to upload more recent versions of
individual modules than the versions matching the latest X11R7
amalgamated release.  For instance at the moment we'll want to upload
libxfont 1.2, even though v1.1 matches X11R7.1.  Would libxfont 1.2 go
into branches/7.1 regardless, or into trunk?

I've used cvs routinely before but I'm new to svn, so I'm not certain
yet if "branching" means the same in svn as in cvs.

Drew

p.s. just to throw a spanner in the works, is anyone agitating to move
the repository to git to follow X.org upstream?