Re: Scary message on new installations

On Fri, Jun 30, 2006 at 08:48:31AM -0400, David Nusinow wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 21, 2006 at 04:05:26PM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > Since this warning note has been added specifically because the xserver is
> > being removed in situations we don't want it to, and the removal is being
> > caused by a new package that didn't exist in sarge, it is indeed very
> > difficult to detect the difference between an upgrade and a new install.

> > For d-i's purposes, preseeding this d-i note into oblivion is an option, but
> > it would be much nicer if someone could figure out how to keep the xserver
> > from being removed on upgrade in the first place.

> Would putting back xserver-xfree86 as a transitional package suffice? Since
> I don't know how to reproduce this problem locally, my best guess is that
> the server gets removed due to the conflict with x11-common and then
> nothing is able to install the new one because xserver-xorg doesn't exist
> to be marked for upgrade. Putting back an empty xserver-xfree86 that pulls
> in xserver-xorg should suffice in this corner case, letting us remove the
> note all together.

It is still valid for aptitude to remove xserver-xfree86, even as a
transitional package, if the old version is conflicted with.  There's
nothing in our packaging system that lets you mark a particular package as
"not to be removed on upgrade".  A dummy xserver-xfree86 package may fix
this for most users, though.