Re: xorg.conf.d

On Sat, Jun 03, 2006 at 05:40:45PM +0200, Marco Cabizza wrote:
> well, I'm one of the *new* pkg-gnome folks. We were discussing something
> about hotpluggable graphic tablets [basically Gustavo Franco and me, and
> of course we'll co-operate with ron, he has already talked to stratus],
> and we came up to the fact that maybe one of the solutions for all evil
> would be a /etc/xorg.conf.d/ so that we can ship pre-configured
> wacom-xorg-goodness instead of demanding to write some - as the official
> HOWTO suggests, and as it is the status quo, by now - which would make
> more sense for _the debian desktop_.

I definitely like this idea, although I'm not certain that pushing for it
in etch is wise. To be honest, I'm still focused on cleaning up the major
packaging bugs from 7.0, and I need to get 7.1 in to etch ASAP, so this is
probably not the best time to add new X packaging features.

This idea though, is exactly what I've wanted to do for etch+1. I have
several plans for the server's configuration stuff that I'm hoping to start
on soonish, hopefully in conjunction with Adam Jackson of Redhat. My vision
involves having sensible defaults in the server that minimize the need for
the config file. In addition, the hotplugging work from Zepheniah Hull and
Daniel Stone will help with this.

The second part is exactly your xorg.conf.d idea, down to the directory
name :-). Ideally, the hotplugging stuff mentioned above will solve your
problem so this isn't necessary, but this was meant to be a fallback for
some situations. The server's config code is a mess though, and it's going
to need some serious love to get to the point where it can handle something
like xorg.conf.d gracefully. As such, I'm not really eager to deploy it for
etch. I'm hoping to have some time to talk with ajax (who is the maintainer
for the configuration portion of the server) about this in more detail to
see what he thinks.

That said, if you want to start on the problem, I recommend working first
with upstream (I'll be watching) so you can get your patches vetted by
people who know the server better than me. If not, I'm planning to do this
in conjunction with upstream once things in Debian are settled for etch.
Let me know what you think.

> What's your opinion on this? If you like we can bring the discussion on
> debian-x or debian-desktop.

I've cc'ed debian-x. Please add -desktop too if you think it's appropriate.

 - David Nusinow