Re: Need to purge xprint-common to get xorg 7 working

Dominique Dumont <domi.dumont@free.fr> wrote:
> I've upgraded from Xork 6.9 to Xorg 7.0. While updating, aptitude
> insisted on removing xprint. Then xprint-common was removed by
> aptitude as it was no longer used.

> Unfortunately, I couldn't get Xorg to start with startx. Long story
> short, I found this error message in .xession-error:

>  Xsession: X session started for root at Sun Apr 23 17:02:56 CEST 2006
>  /etc/init.d/xprint: ## FATAL ERROR: Unknown XProjectRoot.
[...]

Hello,
The current code (1:1.0.1-1) in the init-script looks like this:
----------------------
[ -d /usr/X11/bin ]     && XPROJECTROOT=/usr/X11
[ -d /usr/X11R6/bin ]   && XPROJECTROOT=/usr/X11R6

# X11R7 now follows FHS, doesn't use it's own separate directory
XPROJECTROOT=/usr

XPCUSTOMGLUE=DebianGlue # This is used for customizing this script
export XPROJECTROOT XPCUSTOMGLUE

if [ -z "${XPROJECTROOT}" ] ; then
    fatal_error "Unknown XProjectRoot."
fi
----------------------
which does not break, older version including the one in etch and
sarge do not contain the XPROJECTROOT=/usr fallback.

I do not think XSF can really fix this bug, it can conflict with the
older versions, but this won't help against uninstalled, but not
pruned packages.

cu and- actually it is a bug that the init-script does *anything*
        before checking whether the package is not uninstalled, the
        actual checking happens at line 562. See #270054 -reas
--
The 'Galactic Cleaning' policy undertaken by Emperor Zhark is a personal
vision of the emperor's, and its inclusion in this work does not constitute