Re: HELP: cut/paste problem between xterms

Stefano Curtarolo, Ph.D. <auro@nietzsche.mems.duke.edu> wrote:

> I`ve just updated my system to the latest xorg debian package xserver-xorg
> 7.0.14  ... and with big surprise the CUT/PASTE does not work betwenn
> xterm windows...
> the clipboard works between firefox, emacs, thunderbird but not between
> xterms.

xterm doesn't default to using the clipboard (it uses the primary selection).
I seem to recall seeing some comment to the effect that firefox only supports
clipboard (mozilla never did afaik).

xterm patch #209 has a "Select to Clipboard" feature which lets one switch
xterm's default selection mechanism between primary and clipboard selections.
(use "xterm -v" to see what version of xterm you have).

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net