Re: Mesa 6.5 Development Release

On Wed, Apr 19, 2006 at 10:35:44AM +0200, Michel Dänzer wrote:

 > Mesa 6.5 is a development release with known problems. Should that be
 > allowed to migrate to testing? It's my impression that the semantics
 > you seem to attribute to sid have mostly shifted to experimental and
 > that sid is mostly considered a staging area for testing now.

 Development branches of Mesa routinely break the "odd" targets (glide,
 directfb, whatever else ...).  Continously adding and removing packages
 from the archive is not really something we want to set as a precedent.

 I can imagine a Mesa package in experimental that ships a bunch of
 targets and manages the whole thing with symlinks, e.g.

    /usr/lib/mesa/glide/libGL.so.1
    /usr/lib/mesa/directfb/libGL.so.1
    /usr/lib/mesa/dri/libGL.so.1
    /usr/lib/mesa/swrast/libGL.so.1
    /usr/lib/libGL.so.1 -> mesa/glide/libGL.so.1

 I actually have code lying around that does something like this.
 Needless to say, the package is big.  The idea of packaging this would
 be allowing people to test the development branch in order to find and
 report problems.  It would carry a big friendly "THIS WILL BREAK"
 warning.

 Marcelo