Re: Please put xlibs back

On Mon, Mar 27, 2006 at 08:46:28PM +0200, Denis Barbier wrote:
> Ok, good to know, but I still do not see how to purge /etc/X11/xkb ;)
> We moved XKB files into /usr/share/X11/xkb, but if admins want to
> customise their XKB layouts, they will most certainly copy
> /usr/share/X11/xkb into /etc/X11/xkb and make local changes there.
> Thus we want to remove files from /etc/X11/xkb only when upgrading from
> xlibs.  But we will provide xkb-data and xkb-data-legacy, so users
> may switch from one package to another, and we do not know when xkb-data
> is installed to replace xlibs.

Ok, so maybe we shouldn't touch /etc/X11/xkb at all? Or only purge if the
md5sum isn't changed?

> If I follow you, xlibs is removed to force other packages to upgrade
> their dependencies.  This can be achieved by clearing out its Depends
> field, it is IMO much cleaner.

This is a very good point, and hopefully it'll satisfy ftpmaster.

> Anyway this issue can be sorted out after modular xorg is uploaded into
> unstable, it is not a blocker.

Ok, I'll consider this a high priority once modular is in unstable,
alongside any other major issues with upgrading cleanly from sarge. We'll
get this sorted out, hopefully making everyone happy :-)

 - David Nusinow