Re: supporting navigation mouse buttons in Debian

#include <hallo.h>
* Michael Gilbert [Sat, Mar 11 2006, 10:21:46PM]:
> Hello,
>
> I was recently browsing the web on a windows box and realized that
> over the last 4 years, I had forgotten how nice it is to be able
> browse back/forward with a single button click.  So I set about
> enabling this functionality on my Debian box.  I found this gentoo doc
> (http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Mouse_Nav_Buttons) very helpful.

First, this Howto is not completely correct ("modprobe evdev" to run
xev? wtf).

Second, I assume that the evdev X module is going to replace all that
ugly workarounds with mouse button counting for ZAxisMapping and
guessing the correct driver etc.

The only thing I am missing in the evdev driver is the ability to pick
up the correct device by itself. X in /dev/input/eventX may change all
the time, the thing would not as smooth as /dev/input/mice for the old
drivers untill somebody implements autodetection of the supported
devices.

Cc'ed to correct list.

Eduard.