Help building XFree86 4.3.0 from debian sources.

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the list.  Please excuse me if this question has been asked and answered before.  I'm trying to build ati.2 w/ tv_output for sarge i686.  From my understanding, I first need to build xfree86.  These are the steps I followed:

- obtain source: $ apt-get source xfree86
- enter root of source tree:  $ cd xfree86-4.3.0.dfsg.1
- build source:  $ dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -b

Things appear to be working until about a third of the way into patching the source when the following output appears:

  Applying patch debian/patches/101b_xkb_sun_loads_srvr_ctrl.diff ... failed! (check stampdir/log/patches/101b_xkb_sun_loads_srvr_ctrl.diff for reason)

The file "stampdir/log/patches/101b_xkb_sun_loads_srvr_ctrl.diff" contains the following:

  patching file xc/programs/xkbcomp/symbols/sun/se
  patching file xc/programs/xkbcomp/symbols/sun/us
  Hunk #1 succeeded at 100 with fuzz 1 (offset 1 line).
  Hunk #2 succeeded at 221 with fuzz 2 (offset 1 line).
  Hunk #3 FAILED at 330.
  1 out of 3 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file xc/programs/xkbcomp/symbols/sun/us.rej

Finally, file "xc/programs/xkbcomp/symbols/sun/us.rej" is as follows:

  ***************
  *** 324,329 ****
        key <CUT>  { [ SunCut     ],      [ F20           ]       };
        key <HELP> { [ Help               ]       };

        // begin modifier mappings
        modifier_map Shift { Shift_R };
        modifier_map Mod1  { Meta_L, Meta_R };
  --- 330,338 ----
        key <CUT>  { [ SunCut     ],      [ F20           ]       };
        key <HELP> { [ Help               ]       };

  +     // Override these settings by default xfree86 Ctrl+Alt combinations
  +     include "srvr_ctrl(xfree86)"
  +
        // begin modifier mappings
        modifier_map Shift { Shift_R };
        modifier_map Mod1  { Meta_L, Meta_R };

I have a hunch that my problem could be solved by someting as easy as setting an environment variable but I haven't been able to find any guidance.  I've been able to build vanilla XFree86 and Xorg in the past and present but I've never had the experience of building the X server from the debian sources.  Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Until next time, Colin.

--
Colin Alie BSc, MASc
PhD Candidate