It Runs!

Hi everyone,
   This is just a little status update. The modular server now is capable
of running entirely from what's packaged and sitting in svn! This is a huge
milestone since everything from here is basically just getting it all
polished :-)

   Also, Ganneff has accepted the vast majority of the packages I uploaded.
There's a few issues he wants resolved on xorg-common and xkbdata, which
I'll be getting to presently. The drivers and server are sitting on my hard
drive, essentially ready to be uploaded, but I'm going to hold off on them
until I'm comfortable that the server package is correct. In the meantime
I'm going to finish up xbase-clients and upload it with xutils. The fonts
are all but finished now and I'll probably upload them real soonish.

   Looking at the TODO, the main thing going through my head right now is
getting a fully working installation of the whole X Window System. I'm
going to temporarily discount twm and xdm which means things like
metapackages, the xserver-xorg package (which has become a separate package
from xserver-core thanks to Daniel's good thinking), and a bunch of stuff
I'm sure I"m forgetting. I want to get all this stuff situated, which means
I'm going to put a more detailed list of things I want for this item in the
TODO so we can go through them one by one. I'll do the same for the patches
while I'm at it.

   But we're in a really good state right now because we can start really
testing this thing right now. You may notice that I'm really happy and
excited about this :-)

   On a more release-manager-type note, I'm probably going to do another
6.9 upload soonish. The issues I want to resolve are pulling the acpi
patch, since I agree that the X server shouldn't be hogging the file
descriptor simply because acpid temporarily dropped it. I've also been
talking to Zephenia about his evdev driver patch(es) and I'm going to apply
them to our tree so that people get the kind of support they need out of
the driver. His patches aren't tested yet broadly, so we'll be the first
line of offense for them, but we'll be helping get them ready so they can
be applied upstream for the next release of the evdev driver. This may
require more 6.9 uploads, but I'm willing to take responsibility to see
that his work is shipped with our modular packages too, so it fulfills my
criteria for changing our 6.9 tree :-) Due to this requirement, I'm not
going to freeze the 6.9 tree until we get closer to a general freeze (at
which point hopefully it'll be the 7.0 tree I'll have to freeze) so feel
free to hack on it if you want to ensure that your changes will also go in
to 7.0.

 - David Nusinow