Re: Modular in Experimental

On Sun, Jan 22, 2006 at 08:36:15PM -0500, David Nusinow wrote:
> Hi all,
>    I've decided to start uploading the modular pieces I'm happy with to
> experimental. I'll be doing the common packages tonight, and most likely
> the protocol headers too. I'll move on to the libs shortly after. Beware
> that the x11-common package does some magic to give us FHFS compliance.
> It's well tested in Ubuntu (I've uploaded it with no changes) but I can't
> say for myself how well it'll work (hence going to experimental ;-)
>
>    I know everyone's waiting for some pieces of 7.0 you can actually run to
> start showing up in the archive, so now will be the time for it. I hope you
> guys are interested enough to help move this the way we moved 6.8.2 in to
> unstable.

Ok, status update: the common-packages are uploaded (xorg-common is in NEW)
and tonight I uploaded the protocol headers, which are also sitting in NEW.
Tomorrow I'm going to get started on the libs, which are sitting waiting
for me to hand-hold their builds in a chroot.

Also, for those not following -devel, I sent a message discussing the
transition that needs to take place for changing the /usr/include/X11,
/usr/lib/X11, and /usr/share/X11 symlinks in to proper directories (handled
by the x11-common package currently). Most of the questions have been dealt
with and I need to investigate small things like why fonts are installed to
/usr/lib/X11 rather than /usr/share/X11. On the whole though, the major
objections seem to be dealt with so we can keep pushing forward.

I still need to put together a mail about the mesa transition, but I don't
want to put another X-related transition in the hands of the release team
until xlibs-dev is over with.

 - David Nusinow