Re: [pkgsel] Add xresprobe, discover and laptop detect for hw detection

On Tuesday 17 January 2006 12:06, Daniel Stone wrote:
> > On Tuesday 17 January 2006 11:37, Sven Luther wrote:
> > > xresprobe is a very nice tool, it will investigate the connected
> > > monitor, and allow you to set the resolutions supported by the
> > > monitor.

> I fail to understand your point.  If a monitor isn't a laptop panel or
> some other display which has information in the BIOS tables, and
> doesn't do DDC ... what would you like xresprobe to do?

Only that the above quote from Sven could be read as "will investigate
_any_ connected monitor and return perfect configuration", which is not
the case.

I don't want xresprobe to do anything more, I see it probably cannot. I
just wanted to avoid misinterpretation by people casually reading the
thread, mainly on the d-boot list.

> So, there's a potential *huge* net gain.  And no net loss.

Full ack in the context of X configuration.
But, in the context of potential use of xresprobe for autodetection when
booting the (graphical) installer (as Sven hinted at), non DCC compliant
hardware also needs to be supported.