Re: X Strike Force X.Org X11 SVN commit: r1032 - trunk/debian

On Sun, Jan 08, 2006 at 09:07:01PM -0500, David Nusinow wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 08, 2006 at 05:56:07PM -0800, Josh Triplett wrote:
> > X Strike Force SVN Repository Admin wrote:
> > > Modified:
> > >    trunk/debian/changelog
> > >    trunk/debian/control
> > > Log:
> > > * We no longer build or ship x-window-system-dev. This is in line with
> > >   killing xlibs-dev. Currently only three packages in Debian build-depend on
> > >   this package, so we'll target them in the same effort as getting rid of
> > >   xlibs-dev.
> >
> > Like x-window-system{,-core} and unlike xlibs-dev, x-window-system-dev
> > is a metapackage for the benefit of Debian users, not for package
> > Build-Depends.  It exists so people can say "I want every X -dev and
> > -dbg package" without listing them all.  Please don't remove it.
>
> I've thought about that, but people are build-depending on it right now,
> and we need to essentially force people not to do so. I'll probably add it
> back in once the current slate of xlibs-dev bugs is resolved properly.
> Sound reasonable?

Ok, as discussed on irc there are two criteria for re-adding this package:

 1) We've completed the xlibs-dev transition without it. This serves as a
    forcing device for people to update their build-deps properly

 2) Adding a lintian check for build-dep or dep on x-window-system-dev.
    This should help prevent this problem in the future.

I'll also add a note in the package description that this package is meant
entirely for users and not for packages to depend or build-depend on.

 - David Nusinow