Release Status Update: 6.9/7.0

On Tue, Aug 02, 2005 at 11:51:32PM -0500, X Strike Force SVN Repository Admin wrote:
> Author: dnusinow
> Date: 2005-08-02 23:51:11 -0500 (Tue, 02 Aug 2005)
> New Revision: 486

Sorry for the mega-commit, but with this one every patch aside from the
mega GNU/kFreeBSD patch (which I'm going to let the FreeBSD porters handle
and hopefully split up in to more manageable chunks) applies without fuzz
to the 6.9 rc0 release from today. As soon as linux-kernel-headers is fixed
we can begin testing this as well. I want to get 6.9 rc packages in to
experimental as soon as possible, with the goal of putting the final 6.9
release in to unstable the day it's out. I'd love it if people started
testing 6.9 soon.

I'm going to continue merging fixes from 6.8 in to the 6.9 branch as we go
along as well, so all the little janitorial things will apply here as well.

Once we have 6.9 in experimental, I want to begin working on 7.0. The
snapshots for those were released today (yesterday?) as well, so we've got
something solid from upstream. In addition, Daniel (and I believe Adam
Conrad) have been hammering on the modular packages in Ubuntu Breezy, so we
should start from there and help get that solidified. At that point, we
should aim to unify the Ubuntu and Debian X trees as much as possible. That
means liberally pulling patches from the Ubuntu tree the same way they pull
from ours. If we can stabilize 7.0 to my satisfaction we can push it to
unstable with the goal of having etch release with a modular tree (be it
7.0, 7.1, or whatever upstream is at when the time comes).

Thoughts? Comments? Concerns?

 - David Nusinow