dpi again

Hello List,

I know this issue has allready been discussed a few times in the last
months, but xorg is now in unstable and it still defaults to 75dpi.

I don't want to raise a big discussion here about the pros and cons of dpi,
I just want to know whether there is something in planning to fix this
problem once for all.

I'd like to suggest something like: If you run dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
the wizard could ask for the screensize of your monitor (15'', 17'', ...)
and your desired default resolution (here I mean with resolution:
1280x1024pixels). Now the wizard could calculate the correct dpi-setting
and change all configs as nessessary.

If this is for some reason not possible, maybe xorg could at least default
to 96dpi.

Some people bring always the argument, that X can guess this automaticly,
but this has never bin true for *my* boxes -- they always defaulted to
75dpi and I had to change it somewhere in the configs by myself (which is
not userfriendly at all, just think of this md5sum-stuff...).

I have a laptop with 14'' display and 75dpi here would be ok (allthough 96
look better) but I have a 19'' display too and with 75dpi and
1280x1024-resolution the default-fonts are way too small.

I've heard, gnome users don't have such problems at all, because gnome
defaults to 96dpi but I am using kdm and kde.

I think the last post in
has a solution for the default-dpi.

Some nice reading about this topic:
http://scanline.ca/dpi/index.html