Re: Procedure reminders on updating a lib package for a C++ ABI change

Marcello Magellon wrote:
> Keyword: implemented.
>
> All of GLU's interfaces are C, not C++, so "transitioning" libGLU is
> ill-advised at best.

Hmm.  I guess if libGLU *uses* C++ interfaces, but does not *export* any C++
interfaces, then it's effectively a program, not a library, for the purposes
of the ABI change; it needs to be recompiled, but nothing depending upon it
does.  Is that what's going on here?  Fun.  That's a corner case none of us
thought of.

...but wait.  If this is the case, isn't there a potential problem when a C++
program uses libGLU?  Couldn't we end up with conflicting symbols from two
different versions of libstdc++, one linked into libGLU and the other linked
into the program which uses libGLU, and therefore possibly get unreliable or
incorrect linkage at runtime?  Or is libstdc++ using versioned symbols (in
which case that can't happen)?

--Nathanael