Re: C++ Transition Patches

On Mon, Jul 11, 2005 at 02:51:21PM -0400, Nathanael Nerode wrote:
> Daniel Stone wrote:
> >Er, you don't get to choose.  The DDX driver nominates which DRI module
> >to load, and libGL loads it.  The only chance of confusion is people
> >upgrading xserver-xorg but not xlibmesa-dri, in which case you're going
> >to get exactly what you deserve.
>
> I was thinking of people saying "I had acceleration and now I don't, what
> happened?"

The only case where this would happen would be ffb, presumably.  i915
accelerates i815, i830, i845, i855, i865, i915, and (in later snapshots)
i945.

> >> I worry about the masses of dropped dependencies on
> >> xfree86-common/x11-common though.  It doesn't look correct to me, but
> >> perhaps /etc/init.d/x{free86|11}-common and /etc/X11/Xsession.d really
> >> aren't needed by (for instance) libice6.
> >
> >No.  No, they aren't.
>
> Oh, good.  :-)  I was wondering about the ICE socket directory, which is set
> up in /etc/init.d/x11-common, but I suppose libice6 doesn't use it directly?

Actually, it sort of does ... given that's how it does its communication.

> Now, what does libx11-6 need x11-common for?... does it need the server socket
> directory, or does it need Xsession.d?  The rest of x11-common is actually
> man pages and the like, but that presumably doesn't justify a Depends:
> anywhere.

Arguably just the socket, but I wouldn't bother with a Depends, to be
honest.

> I'm also awfully curious as to what part of xutils depends on x11-common.
> Because the only three packages left depending on x11-common are
> xserver-common, libx11-6, and xutils.

Don't know; wasn't my choice.